Friday, July 28, 2017

An Unforgettable Treasure

Walking through the 2k540 Aki-Oka Artisan mall, little did I know that we would not only be able to find Japanese handmade treasures, but we would also experience the kindness of the workers there.
One of the shops that we enjoyed there was called, "Megurite."  This store featured traditional Japanese crafts from artisans across Japan.  Five artists display their beautiful handmade crafts which include the prettiest hair pins.  The art of "Mizuhiki", which is cord made from twisted paper, was used to create these pins.  Before leaving the store, we purchased 4 of these wonderful pieces of art.
Throughout the rest of our stay in Japan, we spoke of how we were glad to have visited the 2k540 Aki-Oka Artisan mall and how special those pins were that we bought from Megurite.

When we returned home to Hawaii, we were unpacking our suitcases and realized that we didn't have the hair pins that we spoke so highly of.  We had left them somewhere in Okachimachi and now we had left Japan! We thought back to our visit to the 2k540 Aki-Oka Artisan mall, and tried to remember where we could've left the package.

I decided to first contact Megurite where we purchased the pins.  They replied the same day and wrote that they searched the entire store and could not locate our package.  Next, I wrote a shoe store that we spent a good amount of time in at the mall.  The shop owner answered through messenger and said that he did not find our hair pins.  He did send me the email address to the main office of the 2k540 Aki-Oka mall.

This was my first message sent through email:
Subject: Lost Bag
We recently purchased items from 2k540 Aki-Oka Artisan.  We were wondering if anyone turned in a bag that has 3 hair pins made from wire in the shape of flowers.  One pin was wrapped as a gift.  We also bought one hair band that had a smaller flower from the same store.  We would appreciate it if you would let us know if you have it in your lost and found.

This was their reply:
Thank you for coming to our shopping mall "2k540".

It's very unfortunate that I couldn't find your bag now.
I'll contact you again as soon as I find it.

I'm sorry I couldn't help for you.

We accepted the fact that we had lost our beautiful pins and went on with our daily lives.

Seven days later, I received this email:
I think I found a bag you lost.
I want you to see the picture.
Please reply.
And much to our surprise, there were our pins.  One in a precious gift bag, prepared as a present to a loved one, just as we had described it to them.  It was a truly remarkable moment.

I wrote her back confirming that this was our lost package and sent them my mailing address.
This was her reply:

Yes, I would like you to pay shipping fee.
It corresponds to other people so.

I will tell you the amount and bank account.
Can you deposit?

Sorry it took us a while.

The last line in her email left me stunned.  The fact that someone had actually turned in the package in the first place was simply amazing.  And after seven days since our last exchange, she had still kept us in mind and worked towards locating our small package.  By ending her letter in saying, "Sorry," made me realize that this was truly an act of kindness in its rarest form.

I sent her a thank you card with the money that she could use for postage.
A little over a week later, I received this cute message:

I received a letter from you.
Thank you, Thank you!

I will treasure this letter

The pins arrived untouched in the same bag that they came from the Megurite store.  Needless to say we will treasure these pins forever.  They not only represent the work of an artisan from Japan, but they also symbolize the beautiful spirit of the Japanese people.  Their kindness and honesty is a gift that carries no price tag.

This is just another example of why I love Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment